Clutter can take many forms, all of which don’t deserve to dwell in your home or your mind. Follow the steps below to organize and reclaim your space!
- Focus on one category. Set a timer (two 25-minute chunks or one 30-minute chunk), and purge!
- Move through one category (or subcategory) per week.
- Remember to schedule a time on your calendar to drop off donation items. If you purge clutter and leave it in garbage bags in your garage, it’s still clutter.
- Clothing & Shoes
- Paint & Tools
- Half-finished projects or tasks – Break down larger tasks into manageable chunks and start checking things off
- An over stimulating environment – Check your surroundings for visual clutter. Simplify to create a more calming space
- Schoolwork – Designate one tote for each child. Check out my Complete Paper System for the complete how-to
- Bills – Automate what you can, and use the Complete Paper System to organize the rest
- Manuals & User Guides – You can find these online, so ditch them
- Photos – Organize into albums and delete duplicates
- Emails – Create categories and unsubscribe
- Old accounts or passwords – If you don’t have a password manager, check out 1password
- Books – Pass along books to friends or family, and donate the rest to a local library
- Photos – Remove duplicates and blurry photos
- Heirlooms – This category is one of the most challenging to declutter. If you don’t feel like you are emotionally prepared to purge this category, it’s perfectly ok to wait a few months, or even years. Revisit this category when you’re ready.